281-377-5871Garage Door Materials | Lone Star Overhead Doors
This discussion covers five different types of materials that are available for garage doors. Each has positives and negatives. The five material choices are steel, aluminum, wood, wood composite, and vinyl. Most all are suitable for the Houston climate.
- Steel. Most residential garage doors are made of steel, as are virtually all commercial doors. Steel doors are reasonably priced, durable, and low maintenance. Steel can be painted, and it is available in textures that mimic wood. Steel is a poor insulator, so insulated doors are a smart choice for saving energy and reducing noise. Steel doors can be one-, two-, or three-layered. Single-layered doors have no insulation. Double-layered doors have one layer of steel and one of insulation. Triple-layered doors have an additional backing layer of steel.
- Aluminum. Aluminum doors share many of the characteristics of steel, with optional faux wood texturing and long-lasting finishes. Aluminum is lighter and less expensive than steel, but it is more likely to dent.
- Wood. The first garage doors were made with wood, and wood continues to appeal to those seeking traditional styles and materials. Wood doors are offered in a variety of styles. The lowest-cost wood option is painted wood with flat hardboard panels. Stain-grade wood doors cost more. Wood doors require more maintenance than do metal, composite, or vinyl doors.
- Wood Composite. Composite doors are made with recycled wood fibers. They offer the strength of steel with the looks and texture of wood, and they can be painted or stained. Composite doors are superior to solid wood in resisting rot and splitting.
- Vinyl. Vinyl doors are generally made of layers of durable and weatherproof vinyl over a core of foam insulation; the cheapest models lack the foam core. Lightweight and impervious to insects and rot, vinyl doors are durable. Unlike steel or aluminum, vinyl is resistant to dings and scratches; many types come with lifetime warranties. Vinyl doors come in many colors. Despite their higher price, over the long run vinyl doors may be a more cost-effective option than any other material. Note that PVC vinyl may not be the most ecologically sound choice.
3200 Southwest Freeway, Suite 3300 Houston, TX |